Mission Statement: To provide support through, education, training and referral to the family members of those individuals with serious and persistent mental illness difficulties. This will enable those families to adequately fulfill their roles in relationship to their family member(s), the mental health system and the community.“Relationship” Logo: The stylized individual represents the Family Mental Health Initiative of Simcoe County. The Initiative helps families fulfill their roles in relationship to their family member(s), the mental health system and the community. The three circles are representative of these relationships. The font chosen for the lettering has a friendly appearance due to its curved lines. The letter themselves are narrow. This gives the feeling of togetherness.
With 1 person in 5 experiencing a mental illness (Health Canada), that leaves 4 persons indirectly affected through family, friends and colleagues.
In 1999, the Family Mental Health Initiative of Simcoe County (FMHI) was established by family members looking for support. Into its eighth year, FMHI continues to build upon its core services: education, training, referral and volunteer opportunities. FMHI is an Agency working to develop a stronger voice for families in the mental health system, to strengthen the supports provided to families, and to raise awareness of issues from a family perspective.
- County-wide educational forums for family members/caregivers on mental health;
- Assistance and support in self-help group development to family members/caregivers across Simcoe County;
- An annual conference for family members/caregivers, every year a different location within Simcoe County;
- Telephone referrals county-wide to the mental health and addictions community;
- Family Support Groups in Barrie and Collingwood;
- Family Resource Kit(at no charge);
- Native Wellness Kit (at no charge);
- Concurrent Disorders Kit (at no charge);
- Dual Diagnosis Kit (at no charge);
- Youth & Mental Health Wellness Kit(at no charge);
- Women’s Mental Health & Addiction Wellness Kit (at no charge);
- Older Persons Mental Health & Addiction Wellness Kit (at no charge);
- Early Psychosis Resource Kit (at no charge);
- Resource Handbook – ($5.00 each);
- Quarterly newsletter;
- Volunteer development;
- Advocacy for improved services;
- A lending library for information specific to family members’ concerns while dealing with mental health, illness and addictions which includes books, videos, audio tapes, and pamphlets. The lending library is located at 39 High St., in Barrie (Canadian Mental Health Association of Simcoe County).